Pick the Beatles References Answers

One of our most popular posts has been our Pick the Beatles References post, which is a drawing by Ron Manges featuring references to 70 Beatles songs.  Unfortunately, the answers can no longer be found on Ron's website, so I have gone through the illustration and identified 64 out of 70 of the references (I hope they are all correct!). With six remaining, I hope you guys can help me find them!

Here is the original:

And here are my answers:

  1. Sun King
  2. For No One
  3. Twist and Shout
  4. The Fool on the Hill
  5. Rain
  6. The Long and Winding Road
  7. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
  8. Carry That Weight
  9. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  10. Glass Onion
  11. One After 909
  12. Yesterday
  13. I'll Follow the Sun
  14. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
  15. Mean Mr Mustard
  16. Lovely Rita
  17. I Am the Walrus
  18. Helter Skelter
  19. Strawberry Fields Forever
  20. Being for the Benefit or Mr Kite!
  21. Octopus's Garden
  22. From Me To You
  23. Help!
  24. Yellow Submarine
  25. Love You To
  26. Ticket to Ride
  27. Three Cool Cats
  28. Can't Buy Me Love
  29. Birthday
  30. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
  31. Blackbird
  32. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
  33. Piggies
  34. Dig a Pony
  35. Hey Bulldog
  36. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
  37. I'll Be Back
  38. She's Leaving Home
  39. Fixing a Hole
  40. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
  41. Rocky Raccoon
  42. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  43. Michelle
  44. Drive My Car
  45. I Want to Hold Your Hand
  46. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
  47. Chains
  48. Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!
  49. Good Night
  50. Eight Days a Week
  51. Free as a Bird
  52. Hello, Goodbye
  53. Because
  54. Golden Slumbers
  55. Do You Want to Know a Secret 
  56. No Reply
  57. Flying
  58. Why Don't We Do It In the Road? 
  59. Across the Universe
  60. I've Just Seen a Face
  61. The Word 
  62. Mr Moonlight
  63. The End
  64. Run For Your Life 
UPDATE: turns out Ron Manges does have the answers on his site! 

In regards to my answers, the six I missed turned out to be: 
65: The Inner Light; 66: Money (That's What I Want); 67: Lady Madonna; 68: The Hippy Hippy Shake (no wonder I didn't get it!); 69: Revolution; 70: I'm Looking Through You

Additionally, what I had as 55 (Do You Want to Know a Secret) actually turned out to be part of Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is 69!  Is there another hidden clue?  Also, 61 was not The Word, but rather Words of Love (I feel that both work though as the lyrics of The Word go: "the word is love"). 

9 comments:

  1. I think 67 is "Get Back" because it is a boy with a female wig.
    I don't agree with 49. But I have not found a name for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but I think 67 is Good Morning, Good Morning, because it shows someone having coffee for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also, regarding picture 68, it is not Hippy Hippy Shake, because that's not a Beatles original. I think it is Revolution 9, because the blender shows an image of John and Yoko who were the ones that mixed sounds in that piece. By the way, awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artist confirmed it was Hippy Hippy Shake. There are other non-Beatles originals in this image too, like Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey, Chains, Three Cool Cats and Words of Love.

      Delete
  4. Great work, everyone! OK, I'll take a stab at helping...

    - "Magical Mystery Tour" is probably it since it isn't mentioned and nobody has labeled the four Beatles themselves. I get that they're all living in the Yellow Submarine, but we don't technically need them to be illustrated. That's my best guess.

    - 55: Another guess would be that the two dudes are not really part of the Monkey one (per the comment) and are indeed "Do You Want to Know a Secret" or "Two of Us."

    - For good measure, while it could be, I don't think #54 is "Golden Slumbers" but rather "A Hard Day's Night" ("working like a dog").

    - #58 could also be "Baby's in Black"?

    - #68 probably really is "The Hippy Hippy Shake" since they remade it, per the Anthologies (if "Three Cool Cats" is fair game), but it could also be "Dizzy Miss Lizzy." I'd say "Revolution" since it's a blender but that's already taken by the Rise Up" poster.

    Have you tried contacting Magnes? From his site: 412-241-2603 / rpmart@mac.com.

    Good Luck... and Good Day Sunshine.

    - Rajiv

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron Magnes responded right away!

    Basically, you have them right except "No Reply" is "Hello Little Girl." (Although I think "No Reply" is also great.)

    And somehow, your numbering was off... I'm sure you saw it but it's missing from your list: "Penny Lane."

    Here's his email:

    ---
    Hey Rajiv,

    I do get a lot of requests for "the list", but I’m not tired of it. I’m glad people are having fun discussing it. BTW that’s not John & Yoko in the blender, I wouldn’t be that crude. The woman holding the tea cup is Madonna, but it’s her from the 80s so maybe that’s why people aren’t recognizing her. Hey funny Swiss joke, I’m going to steal it.

    Ron

    Here’s the list in alphabetic order:
    1. Across The Universe
    2. Because
    3. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
    4. Birthday
    5. Blackbird
    6. Can’t Buy Me Love
    7. Carry That Weight
    8. Chains
    9. Dig A Pony
    10. Drive My Car
    11. Eight Days A Week
    12. The End
    13. Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
    14. Fixing A Hole
    15. Flying
    16. The Fool On The Hill
    17. For No One
    18. Free As A Bird
    19. From Me To You
    20. Glass Onion
    21. Golden Slumbers
    22. Good Night
    23. Hello Goodbye
    24. Hello Little Girl
    25. Help
    26. Helter Skelter
    27. Hey Bulldog
    28. Hippy Hippy Shake
    29. I Am The Walrus
    30. I’m Looking Through You
    31. I Want To Hold Your Hand
    32. I Want You
    33. I’ll Be Back
    34. I’ll Follow The Sun
    35. I've Just Seen a Face
    36. The Inner Light
    37. Kansas City
    38. Lady Madonna
    39. The Long and Winding Road
    40. Love You To
    41. Lovely Rita
    42. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
    43. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
    44. Mean Mr. Mustard
    45. Michelle
    46. Money (That’s What I Want)
    47. Mr Moonlight
    48. Norwegian Wood
    49. Octopus’s Garden
    50. One After 909
    51. Penny Lane
    52. Piggies
    53. Rain
    54. Revolution
    55. Rocky Raccoon
    56. Run For Your Life
    57. Sgt. Peppers’ Lonely Hearts Club Band
    58. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
    59. She’s Leaving Home
    60. Strawberry Fields Forever
    61. Sun King
    62. Three Cool Cats
    63. Ticket To Ride
    64. Twist And Shout
    65. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    66. Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
    67. Words of Love
    68. Yellow Submarine
    69. Yesterday
    70. You've Got To Hide Your love Away
    ---

    Glad he didn't give us... No Reply. This was mine to him:
    ---
    Hey, Ron -

    You are probably sick and tired of responding to this type of query but would you please have the answers to your cool poster?

    We are discussing it and think we have it.

    Thanks!

    Good Day Sunshine,

    - Rajiv

    PS - To make this email pay off for you, I'll give you one of the best jokes I've heard (especially since you have a Norwegian flag in your work)...

    What's the best part of living in Switzerland?
    Well, the flag's a big plus.
    ---

    Thanks!

    - Rajiv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rajiv, thanks for reaching out to Ron for some insight! I think we did pretty well, I only wish Ron's answers referred to the corresponding image too.

      Delete
  6. 67 is not Golden Slumbers....it is I'm only sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per the previous comments, we have received confirmation from the artist that it is a reference to Golden Slumbers, since it's a sleeping Golden Retriever.

      Delete